I keep hearing the same question: What exactly does dressy casual attire for women mean?
Let’s see if we can find out.
The following advice ensures that you’re dressed just right for a specific occasion. But sometimes following the required dress code, especially if it’s your first time dressing for that particular dress code can be both tricky and challenging.
This would be harder if you really don’t have any idea of what or what not to wear.
When it comes to dress codes, one of the hardest to decipher is dressy casual attire. Halfway between formal and casual, dressy casual attire seems to be one of the most confusing dress codes.
When it comes to dressy casual attire, you’ve to make sure that your outfit is neither too formal nor too casual, neither too elegant nor too street style, neither too restricting nor too comfortable.
The easiest way to not be confused and remain focused on a particular dress code is to rule out what to wear and what not to wear. So when an event calls for dressy casual attire, you should remember these do’s and don’ts, or else you’ll find yourself turning up at an event totally overdressed or underdressed.
I tell you, being unsuitably dressed isn’t a very pleasing experience (you really won’t be able to truly enjoy the party if you get a lot of unpleasant stares because you’re horribly or unsuitably dressed).
Dressy Casual Attire Do’s
- Sunday dress
- Dressy pants outfit
- Medium skirt or silky skirt paired with a dressy top
- Slim slacks paired with a silk blouse
- Medium length dress
- Clothes with semi-dressy fabrics
- Fitted slacks paired with a sweater set
- Tailored pants with an embellished top
- Trousers and nice blouse or a silk shirt
- Other well-coordinated separates
- Chic jumpsuit
- Casual business clothes or usual business clothes but a little informal
- Wedges and semi-formal heels
- A nice pair of flats
- Well-coordinated accessories
- Minimal and subtle jewelry
- Natural or light makeup
Dressy Casual Attire Don’ts
- Long gowns
- Cocktail dresses
- Sweats/ sweatshirts
- Tattered jeans
- Plunging necklines
- Mini skirts
- Tight short skirts
- Clothes with big company logos (unless it’s the logo of top fashion brands) and different slogans
- Blouses and shirts that reveal too much skin
- Tennis shoes
- Sky-high heels and platform heels
- Loud or too much makeup
When choosing what to wear to an event that requires dressy casual attire, just remember that even though the dress code doesn’t require you to wear something that’s very formal, you still have to make sure that what you’re wearing is presentable to a certain degree.
Also, you’ve to make sure that you look chic, well-accessorized, and nice but still feel comfortable with whatever you’re wearing.Before you go, we'd love to hear from you in the comments below. I'm working hard to build a community here and a big part of that are your contributions! If you have experiences to share, questions, comments, suggestions, or anything else, please leave us a quick comment. I promise to reply!